Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Leash and Collar: How Physical Objects Can Symbolize So Much

I was listening to a conversation the other day when a very curious girl questioned the collars my sisters and I wear around our necks. Why do you wear them? Do you feel like an animal, being dragged on a leash? Is it humiliating? Why do you allow that?

It got me thinking. What does my collar mean to me? What does being leashed by my Master convey to me? It's quite impossible for me to sum up what my collar symbolizes in one word. Or even two. It's a physical representation, a physical reminder of a vow I made as I kneeled before my Master as I offered my submission and promised my unending obedience, support, love and devotion. To me it means to not question Master; to follow Him blindly because I trust in Him fully. It's His vow of protection I wear around my neck, His pledge to guide me, push me, teach me, love me. The collar represents our eternal bond, and while others may not understand the full meaning of what it is that i wear, it brings me much comfort.

Like my collar, my leash also has deeper meanings. These objects don't just mean "slave" or "owned". I surprised myself when I likened the action of my Master leashing me to holding hands. That was as basic of a comparison as I could think of. The leash is an extension of Him. It brings safety, I feel cared for. There's a little giddiness in me every time He leashes me because I feel that much closer to Him. He doesn't drag me around like an animal because that's not the type of relationship we have. We use the leash to convey feelings of connectedness, ownership, position, and attachment.

Even now, just thinking about what these two basic yet significant objects mean to me, I find myself that much more in love with my Master, that much prouder to wear His collar and brand. It's easy to forget that each D/s relationship is different and that something as simple as a collar can mean one thing to one person and another thing to someone else. I do hope that everyone at least tries to remember tolerance and open-mindedness. When the same girl who questioned us about our collars called us crazy for enjoying our leashes, no matter how friendly it was meant to be, it still hurt a little. Nothing can lessen my feelings about what it is that I wear for I wear around my neck a bond as unbreakable as the circle that represents it.

Posted with the permission of Master Darius

3 comments:

  1. Well stated and beautifully written, Jessa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written Jessa and thank you so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the analogy of " holding hands" because that is a wonderful response that those new to this lifestyle can understand. Again, a beautifully written post Jessa. It is an honor for us to be associated with Dominus and the Aldrin family. Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete